Accessibility View Close toolbar

(419) 927-4343

First Visit is FREE

Sign up now

  • Blog >
  • Did you know that your gum could harm your pets?
RSS Feed

Did you know that your gum could harm your pets?

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is widely used.  The chemical is found in popular chewing gums and sugar- free peanut butters. This substitute, if ingested by your pet, can lead to toxicity and liver failure. 

If your dog or cat ingests these products, here are some symptoms that may occur:  wobbling, lethargy, vomiting, tremors, weakness, collapse and seizures.  It is very important to note each symptom that your pet presents.

 For instance, for just a 10-pound dog, it only takes four pieces of Trident Gum to put your pet in the toxic level.  It only takes 20 minutes to reach the toxic level.  Therefore, you should contact your veterinarian and only induce vomiting if instructed to do so.

  Please keep all gum and candy out of reach of your pets especially purses and coat pockets that can easily be accessed by pets.  There is no antidote for this toxicity and aggressive supportive care is necessary to try to save pets that exhibit symptoms of xylitol poisoning.